Japan is one of those markets for Indian films, where it hardly excells. Over the years, only few films have managed to make a mark and the latest one to add here in the list is Telugu film RRR helmed by SS Rajamouli. Interesting thing here is, RRR still running strong in Japan even after 157 days.
- RRR (2022): RRR movie has so far collected 1,487,663,990 Yen – Rs. 93.59 crores gross in Japan as per Comscore. The film has crossed 5 months and it is still running in Japan. Before this, Rajinikanth starrer film Muthu (1995) held the highest film earning record in Japan but it was shattered by RRR in 2023, Note this is just the beginning, the collections might cross 100 crores gross in Japan soon. Most importantly, RRR team went to Japan and promoted the film along with Junior NTR and Ram Charan. The two of them are big superstars in Japan now. Despite, Japan is not a big market, but this film proves that even a small market like Japan can churn such big collections.
2. Muthu (1995): Before RRR, Rajinikanth is one of the biggest superstar in Japan. He has even a fan club in Japan and audience is fan of Rajinikanth mannerisms and style. As per Nikkan Koko News agency, Muthu movie has collected around 405,000,000 Yen – Rs. 25.47 crores gross in Japan. That means, RRR movie has not only shattered this epic record of Muthu film after 27 years but also made a new collection record which is miles ahead. Still, Muthu is an important film of India as it is first film which has whole heartedly accepted by Japanese fans at a time when there was no Internet or mobile phones. The word of mouth happened in those times only through theater goers.
3. Baahubali 2 (2018): Interestingly, the third film in the list has been directed by RRR fame director SS Rajamouli himself. Baahubali 2 missed to break the record of Muthu in Japan, still it had made a bigger impact through collections. This film has made Prabhas a household star in Japan too. As per Kinema Junpo agency, Baahubali 2 has collected around 305,000,000 Yen- Rs. 19.18 crores gross.
4. 3 Idiots (2009): Rajkumar Hirani directorial film 3 Idiots has made a good impact in Japan as well. Here, Aamir Khan starrer film has managed to earn around 170,000,000 Yen – Rs. 10.69 crores gross as per Variety. Please take a note, even Dhoom 3 (2013), Dangal (2016), PK (2014) and Secret Superstar (2017) also worked in Japan and are in top 20 list of highest grossing Indian films in Japan.
5. English Vinglish (2014): Late Indian actress Sridevi’s comeback film English Vinglish has been loved by Japanese people in a big way. Do take a note that, it is only Indian film with a female protagonist which has made it in Top 5 highest earning list in Japan market. As per Bunkatsushin agency, English Vinglish has able to earn around 160,000,000 Yen – Rs. 10.06 crores gross in Japan.
Altogether, these are top 5 highest grossing Indian films in Japan, which are still popular amongst Japanese people.
What are your thoughts in this news story? Do let us know in the comments.
Note: This data has been taken from @BollyNumbers Twitter handle. The final collections figures may vary from site to site.